Monday, May 12, 2014

1940s Inspired Hair & Makeup


Recently, I've begun experimenting more and more with makeup and with various hairstyles. I was never a makeup girl growing up: I've never had the best skin, and my teenage years were riddled with a pocky red face and constant sad, droopy eyes. I've learned to embrace my natural features over the years, but I've also learned to love the creativity and personal expression that makeup provides; something that was completely lost on me in my pink-faced high school years. My mother always told me that I couldn't wear eyeliner or eyeshadow - not because I wasn't allowed to, but because she said it didn't work with my eye shape. Sorry, mother dearest, but I'm all about cat eyes and liquid liners these days.

I decided to make a little retro inspired hair and makeup tutorial for you all. The makeup, as you'll see, is kind of a mishmash of 1920s through 1960s styles, with a strong focus on pin-up looks and the 40s. The hair is something I've been doing consistently since November: all my life, my hair has been pin-straight and very fine. I practically ruined it for good with years of heat styling - in vain and mostly unsuccessful attempts to get it to hold some semblance of a curl with curling irons and blow dryers. One day, I woke up, realized I was doing it all wrong, and went to the pharmacist to buy myself a pack of cheap pink foam rollers. They're fast, painless, and work like a gem, and I haven't gone back since. And, to boot, my hair finally looks and feels healthier and is growing faster and longer than it's ever been.

I plan on continuing to experiment with various looks, both hair and makeup-wise. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see me try out, and I'll give it a go!

Hope you enjoy me being shy and awkward on camera, and the brilliantly awful edits and audio job I did! xx

5 comments:

  1. Love your smile and the retro tracks awww matching so well (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Your hair has gotten so long! It looks great straight too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial! Your hair and makeup is flawless! (:

    -Bianca
    The Impossibly Cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually opened a blog inspired by you.
    Had been giving up typing on site after the closure of Xanga the blogging website.
    Anyway, feel free to come and leave a comment for my page http://blueinmind.blogspot.hk/ (;

    ReplyDelete